Freshers’ Week is fast approaching for our student tenants. It can be an equally exciting and nerve-wracking week – no one wants to start the year off on the wrong foot. So here are Mistoria’s top 6 Freshers’ Week tips…
1) Avoid Freshers’ Flu! A week of socialising with new people, taking buses everywhere and plenty of late nights can take its toll, and many students find that by the end of the week they feel awful. Which isn’t what you want for your first full week of lectures! We recommend stocking up on antibacterial gel and multi-vitamins. And maybe have at least one early night!
2) Stay safe. New and unfamiliar cities can be daunting at night, so it’s important to make sure you’re covered. Exchange numbers with your new flatmates before going out so you’re never left alone and Google local taxi companies – if the night’s a disaster, you can always go home!
3) Take advantage of the Freshers’ Fair. They aren’t just for societies – they’re also full of free stuff, discount cards, offers on food and drink, and flyers for all the social events you could ever want to attend that week – who wants to pay for entry? Stalls at Freshers’ Fairs have been known to give out everything from tins of baked beans to beach balls – some even have freshly baked pizza to sample!
4) Budget. That student loan may look like a lot now, but it has to go a long way so try not to blow it all in one week. Try and stick to a budget, but allow yourself to splurge a little this week. If you want to save on food, suggest a group dinner once a week – this will not only give you more money to spend elsewhere but will bring the group closer together.
5) Start to think about next year. It seems a bit premature now, but a lot of students start hunting for next years accommodation around Christmas time. If you don’t get on with your flatmates, remember just because you’ve been put together with certain people this year, it doesn’t mean you’re stuck with them. Sign up for some societies and try and meet up with people from your course – they could be potential flatmates for the year ahead.
6) Download our free student guide! There’s plenty of tips for finding next years digs, check lists to help you move in and out, and some pointers to help you to keep your costs down throughout the year!
To view our range of student properties, visit our website. Feel free to contact us with any queries on 0800 500 3015 or using our contact form.