Questions to ask when viewing a property for sale
You’ve seen a house you want to view. You’ve made an appointment and you’re now anxiously waiting for the day and the time to roll around when you can go and see what you hope will be your new home.
Rather than keep clicking back on the listing, scrolling through the images and deciding how you’d redecorate and knock down walls, try to prepare yourself for the viewing by making a list of sensible questions. It’s potentially the biggest purchase of your life so you need to give it proper time, attention and consideration.
Whether you’re a first time buyer, a second-stepper, or have moved numerous times, there are some key questions to consider when viewing a property, some of which could save you a lot of money and stress in the future, or simply give you a bit more negotiating power when it comes to the asking price.
To help you out we’ve listed what we feel are the essential questions to ask when viewing a property to buy. So get your head out of you Pinterest ‘Home decor’ board and start thinking about what you want to know about the property. We all have different priorities but we think this list will apply to most…
- Why is the owner selling? How long did the last owner live here? Have they already found somewhere else to live?
Gauge the situation and establish if there are any iffy circumstances straight off.
- Who are the neighbours?
- What’s this area like to live in?
- What offers have they had so far? What’s the lowest amount they’d sell for?
The agent is likely to be honest about this if they have been instructed to sell quickly.
- How much are the service charges and ground rent if there is any? What is the council tax band?
- How old are the drains and guttering? Have there been any problems with damp?
Check the home thoroughly, including walls and behind furniture for possible leaks or cracks.
- Ask some basic questions about the workings around the home. How is the pressure in the shower? Do the windows lock? Are all of the sockets and taps working? Feel free to ask to test them – it’ll save you the hassle of another small thing to sort out when you move in.
- Is there a TV aerial and phone socket?
- When was the electric last rewired?
- What kind of boiler it is – a combi-boiler? How old is it? Does it have a guarantee?
- Have you got an outdoor space?
If there’s a garage, find out if there is electric in there. It’s also worth asking if you legally own the driveway.
- Remember to check the EPC to see what the energy efficiency is like in the property.
- Do your research on Rightmove’s ‘Sold Prices’ section to see what similar properties in that area are going for.
If you’re looking for your next home and need some help buying a house Bolton based Mistoria Estate Agents would be delighted to support you in your search. If want to know more about any of our properties or would like to book a viewing please call our friendly local team on 01204 800 766 or 07957 698 957.
Tips taken from an article by Rightmove.